One of my favourite pieces in the new line is The Rorschach silk scarf. I thought I'd give a little behind the scenes peek at the process behind it's creation:
I wanted to create an illustration that felt textural like tie dye but if you looked closer you'd find some quirky surprises. I started by painting some inkblots on watercolour paper and scanned in a few of my favourites to work on in photoshop. I also spent some time hand painting leopard prints and other textures but none of them made the final cut (I so wish the unicorns had worked out).
In the computer I began layering different elements with the Rorschach inkblots until I felt that the composition worked. It was really important to me that the images I selected were a mix of pretty, cute and grotesque (Butterflies, check! Kitties, check! Skeleton hands, check!) so that the illustration didn't seem too predictable. It was super fun brainstorming all the random bits and pieces that went into the graphic.
From there the file was sent to the printer to be screened on super thick, soft silk. I also got a smaller version of the print produced on thick cotton to eventually make pouches out of (they are still in process but will hopefully be a part of the collection soon). When the final scarves arrived on my door I decided to hand dye each one a silvery grey just to add a final aspect of texture.
I'm really excited about this new program and am hoping to add to the graphics available over the coming months!